sieve - editheader - edit in place

Hajo Locke Hajo.Locke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 22 08:02:46 UTC 2016

Hello,

Am 21.03.2016 um 17:57 schrieb Stephan Bosch:

> Op 21-3-2016 om 10:24 schreef Hajo Locke:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i do some tests with sieve editheader extensions. deleteheader and
>> addheader are working, but i noticed that new headerlines are always
>> prepended to current header.
>
> They can also be appended with ":last".
>
>> So new lines can be found always on top. I am looking for a
>> possibility to edit a headerline in place, without moving the new
>> line to top of stack(replaceheader?). It is not looking good if a
>> Subject-Line suddenly moves to top of header.
>
> Things not looking good in the header is not really a good reason for
> wanting this, is it? :)
>
> I do understand the sentiment, though.
yeah, an ordinary mailheader with lines in "natural" order looks best.

>> Is there a possibility for me?
>
> Well, the editheader extension was born with a replaceheader command:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-degener-sieve-editheader-00
I think replaceheader was designed as shortcut for
deleteheader->addheader. so there was no additional value.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg02977.html
replacing without losing position would be nice.

> But it was quickly removed after the first draft. I am not sure why.
>
> So, there is currently no standard way to achieve this.
>
> I could create a "vnd.dovecot.replaceheader" extension to reinstate
> it, but no GUI would use it.
>
> Is anyone else longing for this ability?
i hope more people would like this. if not, i would have sympathy for
not implementing this.

> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

Thanks,