Replication issues master <-> master nfs backend

William L. Thomson Jr. wlt-ml at o-sinc.com
Wed Mar 23 19:44:16 UTC 2016

Forgot to mention before I run 2 NFS servers, each mail server uses a different NFS server. It
is not the same NFS server for both. Just to clarify that, as I am not trying to replicate using
the same NFS server with 2 mail servers. I have 2 of each, mail + nfs, and not at the same
location.

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:19:07 AM Teemu Huovila wrote:

> You should still include your doveconf -n output.

Below, end of email

> Also any errors and warnings logged by dovecot, could be useful.

Not many errors are logged. It does not give me anything to go on for the replication issues.
The only errors I have ever seen logged other than some initial deployment fubar with
assertion errors. The only other error logged is due to an account I use for nagios but does
not exist, nobody.

Mar 23 13:01:44 Error: dsync-local(nobody): Couldn't create lock /var/empty/.dovecot-
sync.lock: Permission denied

Messed with changing nobody's home directory but screwed up other things like ssh. I just
do

doveadm replicator remove nobody

Not sure if I can put that in a config file, or somewhere so it is more permanent. I could not
figure out how to ignore that user, while bring in all others.

Occasionally some others with inability to reach the other mail server due to VPN issues. But
that is not happening when I am experiencing replication issue and is very rare. Just does log
a few times when it happens.

doveconf -n
# 2.2.22 (fe789d2): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 4.3.3-hardened-r1 x86_64 Gentoo Base System release 2.2
disable_plaintext_auth = no
doveadm_password =  # hidden, use -P to show it
first_valid_gid = 1000
first_valid_uid = 1000
listen = *,[::]
login_greeting = Mail server ready.
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> ip=[%r] port=[%b] method=[%m] security=[%c]
mail_fsync = always
mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir
mail_nfs_index = yes
mail_plugins = " notify replication"
mmap_disable = yes
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = *
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  mail_replica = tcp:mail2.obsidian-studios.com:12345
}
service aggregator {
  fifo_listener replication-notify-fifo {
    mode = 0666