Dovecot + libsodium

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 6 21:15:01 UTC 2016

On 06 May 2016, at 13:14, Andreas Meyer <luckyfellow42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for creating and maintaining dovecot!
>
> In my scenario, I want to use the password hash algorithms provided by
> libsodium: https://download.libsodium.org/doc/
>
> So my difficulty is to have dovecot support libsodium's hash algorithms,
> particularly: crypto_pwhash_scryptsalsa208sha256_str
>
> On the sodium maillinglist I asked for help and received an adjusted
> dovecot code, which exactly does what I need. You find it here:
> https://github.com/jedisct1/core/tree/scrypt-argon2
>
> Obviously I need to apply these changes everytime I upgrade to a new
> dovecot version now.
>
> So my question ist, what do I need to do so that you will include libsodium
> support in future versions of dovecot?

You could also change it to be a plugin to avoid patching. This is a pretty old example, but it probably still works, at least with minor changes:
http://dovecot.org/patches/password-scheme-lmpass.c

Although it's still a good idea to recompile the plugin after a new version since sometimes the ABI changes.