Good email client to use with Dovecot?

Marc Stürmer mail at marc-stuermer.de
Thu Nov 17 10:41:39 UTC 2016

Am 2016-11-17 08:48, schrieb Steve Litt:

> When I use an email client, its purpose is as a window into my Dovecot
> IMAP, and as a mechanism to reply to and send emails. I don't do
> filtering or calendaring on my email client (filtering via procmail
> direct to Dovecot).
>
> What email clients are all of you using to look at your IMAP email?

Most of the day I am using the Horde Webmailer IMP (www.horde.org),
because I've got my web browser running the whole time anyway and I am
too lazy to wait until Thunderbird launched.

Horde integrates IMAP very well and even has support for running and
managing SIEVE-Scripts, PGP, S/MIME and other, fancy stuff. It is real a
very well rounded, good for daily work mail client.

Contra is that you cannot change the theme at all, and if you wish to
extend it, you might be off better with other stuff. But until you
really reach this point you've got to walk some miles...

2nd preference then, as desktop client, is Thunderbird. Hard to beat
IMAP support and if it cannot do a thing you want, there already might
be an extension around somewhere...

What to avoid like the pest is Outlook. Microsoft crippled the IMAP
support in it starting with version 2010 on purpose to promote their own
server technology on many levels. Using IMAP with Outlook is no fun, so
just don't do it and if you need Outlook, you are better off with
Microsofts own tech stuff instead of IMAP.