Good email client to use with Dovecot?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Nov 18 18:50:10 UTC 2016

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 08:14:02 -0500
Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 11/17/2016 10:58 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> > I have over 620K emails in over 1000 folders. This turns Thunderbird
> > into an all day affair, just to refresh its caches.
>
> There are lots of knobs you can tweak to improve the situation, but
> the bottom line is - 1,000 folders (really?!?), 650,000 emails -
> well... this is going to be a problem for almost any client.

It wasn't a problem for Kmail, before the disastrous conversion to
Kmail2. It wasn't a problem with Claws-Mail (I'm leaving Claws for
non-technical reasons). My experimentation with Alpine indicates that,
at the single folder level, it's not a problem for Alpine: Alpine can
view a huge folder within a couple seconds the first time, instantly
from then on. My (probably temporary) problem with Alpine is finding and
committing to muscle memory tactics to replace my Kmail/Claws chops
that sped my workflow. I might end up using Alpine for my daily
emailing activities, and some other program to act as a sort of "file
manager" for my IMAP server.

I think Steffen Kaiser's last email went a long way toward pointing me
in the right direction in Alpine operations, especially his link to the
IMAP specification. I'll be working with his suggestions over the next
couple days.

And of course I still need to investigate Mutt.

Thanks everyone!

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz