Break up massive INBOX?

mrobti at insiberia.net mrobti at insiberia.net
Tue Oct 25 06:43:35 UTC 2016

I have inherited a 10+ GB mailbox which dsync converted to maildir very
nicely. But 15GB in tens of thousands of messages is too much in one
INBOX when used in webmail.

I guess it's best to divide the messages into subfolders for date.

Is there a server-side way to safely move messages into new subfolders
so that Dovecot indexes and UIDs won't break? If I write a shell script
to move maildir files based on date of the files, I think Dovecot would
not like this?

Also, is there any way to automatically create delivery or archive
folders by date eg., on the 1st of each month? And deliver mails to the
subfolder for the current month? I know I can create Sieve rules for
such by hand, but prefer if there is a plugin or something to do this
automatically.