[Dovecot] Plugins: virtuals vs acls

Leho Kraav leho at kraav.com
Tue Sep 20 08:21:28 UTC 2016

>On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 14:48 +0300, Leho Kraav wrote:
>
>How can I make `LargeMailbox` readable from a virtual without giving the
>mail client the ability to read all of `LargeMailbox` on its own?

Symlinking a hidden "secret key" mailbox name works:

1. Symlink LargeMailbox -> LargeMailbox.sa0yaiy9Nah0thoo5do9iew1ciJaeXahphoox4si (secret key)

2. Start using `vfile:/etc/dovecot/global-acl`

LargeMailbox.sa0yaiy9Nah0thoo5do9iew1ciJaeXahphoox4si user=Moi rwsi (hide mailbox, but allow modifications)
LargeMailbox.Virtual.30d user=Moi lrwsip (full list + modification permissions)

3. `LargeMailbox.Virtual.30d/dovecot-virtual`

!LargeMailbox.sa0yaiy9Nah0thoo5do9iew1ciJaeXahphoox4si (save to backing mailbox)
  all younger 2592000

Remaining excercise questions:

* any more sensible / simpler techniques available?

* any holes - is it possible for user=Moi to somehow learn the
  "secret key" name of the backing mailbox?