Error: Virtual mailbox loops, Dovecot version 2.2.10

dan at redchops.com dan at redchops.com
Mon Apr 3 03:26:37 EEST 2017

I'm trying to follow the guide at
https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual for the 'Conversation' style
virtual mailbox, but with a small change. I'd like the virtual mailboxes
to be 'top level', which I found while searching through this list is
accomplishable by putting the dovecot-virtual file in the root of the
namespace location. My issue is this works perfectly fine for the All
Mail virtual mailbox, but the Threaded mailbox fails with the error
above. I tried creating a RealMail namespace, but that doesn't solve the
issue either. I feel like I must be overlooking something simple; I
could get this setup working if the virtual mailboxes shared a namespace
and were subfolders, but I don't like that setup much (I'm trying to get
my companies GMail users on to our own webmail client, it's features
like this that I need to replicate with dovecot or they'll never leave
their POP3 setups).

I've attached the output of dovecot -n, and my virtual mailboxes look
like this:

# cat Threaded/dovecot-virtual
All
  inthread refs x-mailbox INBOX

# cat all/dovecot-virtual
RealMail
RealMail/*
-RealMail/Trash
-RealMail/Trash/*
-RealMail/Spam
-RealMail/Spam/*
   all

I'd appreciate any insight in to this issue. If I try to access the
Threaded Inbox through IMAP, I get this error specifically:
a select "Threaded Inbox"
a NO [SERVERBUG] Virtual mailbox open failed because of mailbox All:
Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information.
[2017-04-03 00:24:28]

The relevant line being: Apr  3 00:24:28 mail dovecot:
imap(dan at redchops.com): Error: Virtual mailbox loops:
No information before or after.

Thanks,
-Dan