building Dovecot in Debian 9

Peter van der Does peter at avirtualhome.com
Tue Apr 25 23:30:37 EEST 2017

On 4/25/17 4:06 PM, KT Walrus wrote:

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 2:16 PM, Peter van der Does <peter at avirtualhome.com> wrote:
>>
>> You might have to install the package default-libmysqlclient-dev from
>> the Debian repo.
>
> Isn’t that the MariaDB package? I don’t really want to mix MariaDB with MySQL (even though they are probably still compatible, but diverging as time passes).
>
> Dovecot does build with default-libmysqlclient-dev, but maybe ./configure needs to be updated by the Dovecot devs to build against the libmysqlclient package that Oracle built for Debian Stretch?
>
> Since I’m only testing today to get ready for Debian 9, I don’t really need this fixed now. But, when Debian 9 is released, it would be nice to be able to do a production build of Dovecot using the Oracle MySQL packages and Debian 9.
>
> Kevin

The problem with making the Dovecot check for libmysqlclient.so.20 would
be that you have have to make sure older/newer packages are also
supported. The 20 extension is subject to changes.

If I check the Oracle DEB file for Debian 9, it seems they do use the
name libmysqlclient.so, so not sure what to make of it. Double check to
make sure you really installed the file
libmysqlclient-dev_5.7.18-1debian9_amd64.deb from the Oracle repo.

If you still have problems I might setup a Docker file with Debian 9
later tonight to check myself.

Peter

--
Peter van der Does