Doveadm-sync SSH practicalities

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 01:29:49 EEST 2017

Terry Jones wrote:

> The documentation is somewhat silent on this subject.

If you mean https://wiki.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Sync the answers seem
implicit to what's been stated.

> What permissions does the SSH user need ?

To be able to run the doveadm executable (or a wrapper script that eventually
runs doveadm) on the remote side.

> How associated does it need to be with things like dovecot directory
> ownership etc ?

It will take uid/gid directly from the login privileges unless you use
a wrapper script that changes UID/GID.  This may be necessary if you
use remote-prefix option for remapping virtual users and user at domain to
another UID/GID.

> Obviously my dovecot daemon processes are running as restricted users
> with "nologin" shells etc.,  and I don't really want to go opening
> them up if I don't have to.

It doesn't seem possible: you'll need to be able to set up the other
endpoint of communication.  You may be able to lock down the shell
by replacing it with a fixed doveadm and arguments, or perhaps by fiddling
with keys and the forced command feature of ssh, after working out the
security issues.

Depending on your use-case, you might be better off using one of the other
transport methods.  Do you actually need per-user syncing?

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>