Doveadm-sync SSH practicalities

Terry Jones r.a.n.domdev4+dovecot at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 12:29:23 EEST 2017

> If you mean https://wiki.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Sync the answers seem
> implicit to what's been stated.

Yes, I do mean that address, I read that page four times and was still
none the wiser.
<rant-mode>And to be completely frank with you, if documentation
relies on "implicit" guesswork and expects the user to "read between
the lines" then in my books it is poor documentation !  </rant-mode>

> To be able to run the doveadm executable (or a wrapper script that
> eventually
> runs doveadm) on the remote side.

Sure, but my question was does it need to be the dovecot user itself ?
 For example, on one server I have a root crontab that calls
"/usr/bin/doveadm expunge" and that seems to work fine even though it
is not running as the dovecot user but just root calling doveadm ?

> Depending on your use-case, you might be better off using one of the other
> transport methods.  Do you actually need per-user syncing?

No, I don't need per-user syncing as it happens.   I just want to use
the sync feature to push backups to other server(s) for DR purposes.
So if you have better suggestions that would fit that use-case, I'm
open to suggestions !

Thanks !