Failback mailboxes?

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Mon Aug 14 10:54:30 EEST 2017

On Monday 14 August 2017 10:22:54 Sander Lepik wrote:
> 14.08.2017 09:24 Dag Nygren kirjutas:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Have been using Fedora as my dovecot server for
> > some time and am struggling with systemd
> > at every update.
> > Fedora insists on setting
> > ProtectSystem=full in both dovecot.service and postfix.service
> > at every update of the packages.
> >
> > This makes my mailstore which is in /usr/local/var/mail
> > Read-only.
> >
> > And this makes the incoming emails delivered through
> > dovecot-lda disappear into /dev/null until I notice
> > the problem and we lose incoming emails.
> >
> > My question is:
> > Is there any way to set up a failback mailstore
> > for these occasions?
> >
> > PS! I really hate systemd - Destroys the UNIX way of
> > doing things with a heavy axe....
>
> Don't hate it, better learn to use it:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd#Drop-in_files
>
> Just override the default conf and update won't break it.

Will have a look on that thanks...

> Also, maybe it's time to move Your mailstore under /var/something... I
> guess even more restrictions will be applied on /usr in the future. If
> You want to do things in the UNIX way then first make sure You know what
> should go under /usr and what not ;)

Local mods/repositories etc. should go under /usr/local...
/usr/local/spool, /usr/local/var etc....
Has been like that for 40 years now and there is no reason
to break it by a noob programmer (LP) that wants UNIX to behave like
Windows...

Systemd is really a misnomer and a constant source of
problems.

Dag