Puzzled about LIST "" * behaviour

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Mon Aug 14 13:13:58 EEST 2017

Hi there

I'm preparing to copy emails from one dovecot to another dovecot server
via imapsync.

Now imapsync does not get the folder list. So I sniffed the connection
and I am trying to reproduce via telnet.

I do via different concurrent connections.

. login user password
. list "" *

Now this is what completely puzzles me.

sometimes I get the list of all folders, sometimes I only get the INBOX

imapsync seems to only ever get the INBOX and no other folders.

But I type in the very same commands!

I have not yet figured out what sometimes causes me to get the full
list and sometimes only a partial one. Is it some timing issue? Does it
matter if the user is already logged in from another ip?

Any hints welcome.

-Benoît Panizzon-
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden