Metrics service

Sami Ketola sami.ketola at dovecot.fi
Tue Aug 15 11:27:22 EEST 2017

> On 14 Aug 2017, at 18.16, Matt Simpson <dclist at list.jmatt.net> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 14, 2017, at 5:42 AM, Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> We are open for any feedback, questions or comments for this service.
>>

> Two questions.  First one is I guess just a newbie configuration question.  My existing dovecot.conf ends with
> !include conf.d/*.conf
> !include_try local.conf
>
> I didn’t have a local.conf, so I decided that would be a good place to put this.  I created it with
> auth_stats=yes
> mail_plugins = $mail_plugins stats
> stats_carbon_server = 94.237.81.63
> stats_carbon_server = [2a04:3542:1000:910:acc1:5bff:fe5e:8c2]
> stats_carbon_name = RedHorseMail
> plugin {
>  stats_refresh = 30s
> }
>

> At startup, I get error (warning?)
>
> Aug 14 10:50:38 v1 dovecot: config: Warning: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/local.conf line 2: Global setting mail_plugins won't change the setting inside an earlier filter at /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48 (if this is intentional, avoid this warning by moving the global setting before /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48)
>
> I sort of understand what this is telling me, that my new mail_plugins directive clashes with the previous one in 15-lda.conf, which is
>   mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve

This means that you have mail_plugins defined inside plugin {} protocol {} or any other filter section. Depending on where it is the later global mail_plugins setting will be ignored when that filter is matched. In this case it seems that it is ignored for lda deliveries.

> But aren’t both of these commands concatenations, which effectively add more plugins to the existing $mail_plugins string, so that they’re cumulative and not really conflicting?  Can I just ignore this message?  Is there a way to make it go away?

move the "mail_plugins = $mail_plugins stats" to dovecot.conf before loading any files from conf.d

> It appears that, in spite of the warning, the stats code is activating, or attempting to activate, which brings me to my second question.
>
> In my dovecot log, I see
> Error: stats: open(/var/run/dovecot/stats-mail) failed: Permission denied
>
> /var/run/dovecot/stats-mail does not exist, I assume it is trying to create it and being denied by permissions on /var/run/dovecot, which is
> drwxr-xr-x  5 root   wheel     1024 Aug 14 10:51 dovecot
>
> Do I need to change ownership of that directory to the dovecot user?

dovecot user needs to be able to create files to that folder.

Sami