Ubuntu 16.04 dovecot-core requires deprecated ntpdate

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Thu Aug 17 16:57:32 EEST 2017

I'm building a new Ubuntu 16.04 machine, including Dovecot.

When I select the dovecot-core package in Synaptic, it also wants to install
ntpdate.

Problem:  ntpdate has been replaced in Ubuntu with timedatectl.  In fact, if
ntpdate exists on the machine, ntpd will not work properly.

See:  https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/NTP.html

See:  https://askubuntu.com/questions/769651/ntp-failed-to-synchronize-time

See:  https://ubuntu101.co.za/ubuntu/fix-ntp-on-ubuntu-16-starting-crashing/

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-and-configure-network-time-protocol-ntp-se
rverclients-on-ubuntu-16-04-server.html

. and more

Indeed, I had to remove ntpdate in order to make ntpd work.  I don't want to
break ntpd.

Now the dovecot-core package evidently requires ntpdate.  I can't imagine
why this dependency would exist.  And I presume this dependency will prevent
me from removing ntpdate after I install dovecot-core.

Is the Debian package maintainer on the list?

I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Michael