hosting emails at home

André Rodier andre at rodier.me
Sun Dec 10 23:27:49 EET 2017

Hello Bruce et al,

One thing I did not specify. I have very strict idea in the way I am
installing a package on a server I put online.

Ideally, I want to have some install process I setup once and I don't
have to worry about anything, especially security.

When I have to install a software, let's say Roundcube, I prefer to use
the native version that comes with Debian server. Of course, it is a
little bit outdated, but I know there is a security team behind that
publishes security patches. I know these security patches will be
applied, while I sleep or while I am in holidays, if I install and
configure correctly unattended upgrades packages.

If really I want more control, I know there is packages on Debian that
will send me an email when updates are available, and I can install them
from anywhere using SSH.

In no case, I would be comfortable installing, on a Live server,
Roundcube from the git repository, which is done fir this project. It is
far too easy to forget and leave it for months with security issues
opened for a while.

Yes, I know there is cron scripts I can use to update the repository.
But even in this case, who is guarantee me that nothing will break on my
server? Once again, there is a Debian team that do a fabulous
integration work, and I don't want to break my mail server just to have
the latest version of Roundcube or Owncloud.

By staying inside the Debian ecosystem, I am also sure that some third
party applications or repositories will stay nicely integrated with the
current state of my server. For instance, I know that I should be able
to add syncthing (https://apt.syncthing.net/) repository as part of the
deployment process, without worrying too much about conflict from files
overwritten by these kind of manipulations.

I don't say one opinion is better that the other, it is just the way I
prefer to work - and as a matter - to live.

Kind regards,
André