New Dovecot service: SMTP Submission (RFC6409)

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Wed Dec 13 21:41:15 EET 2017

On 12/12/2017, 1:39:08 PM, Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl> wrote:
> However, keep in mind that for this particular feature we're just
> providing the "chicken" as it were. The "egg", i.e. client support, is
> still to come. Apart from Trojita (which I think is still not widely
> used), I know of no IMAP client supporting BURL/URLAUTH for message
> submission. I'd expect to see it first for clients that can truly
> benefit; i.e., mobile clients such as K9.

Oh... bummer...

I thought this was simply going to be an SMTP like service that any SMTP
client could utilize, keeping the BURL/URLAUTH pieces working only
between Dovecot and the MTA it works with. Meaning, instead of
connecting an SMTP service provided by Postfix, you connect to one
provided by Dovecot. I guess there is a good reason it couldn't be made
to work this way.

For obvious reasons, the likelihood that Thunderbird will add
BURL/URLAUTH support anytime in the next few years is probably nonexistent.

:(