Mailbox problem on centos O/S after some "fiddling"

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 00:00:32 UTC 2017

> I do not understand why dovecot creates this folder as we ONLY ever use pop3
> (currently with plain text auth but going to secure when this sorted)
> for mail and also why when it writes the blank folder it "owns" it with the
> user accessing it (also the /var/mail/new folder takes the same owner)

I think maybe those mailboxes were created because you've mapped all user
home directories to the same folder (/var/mail), and thus, the first
user to log in created files that subsequent users could not access.

> mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

See this for the POP3 scenario you want:

 	http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/mbox
 	(Section: Only /var/mail mboxes)

Don't need these

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>