Is it possible to use sieve when delivering via pipe to the dovecot deliver command ?

Thomas Carrié thocar at free.fr
Sat Jan 21 18:12:55 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am using Exim with this delivery configuration:

virtual_delivery:
  driver = pipe
  command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $local_part@$domain  -f

I have enabled manage-sieve and uploaded a simple sieve script that I
can see on the server.

man page of /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver says it supports sieve.

Mail debug is enabled:

$ dovecot -n | grep debug
mail_debug = yes

Delivering a mail shows only this line in dovecot log:

Jan 21 17:38:51 myserver dovecot: lda(joe at something.com):
msgid=<20170121183537.7313f219 at homenetwork>: saved mail to INBOX

According to page
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Troubleshooting#Sieve_Scripts_are_not_Executed
I should have a log saying that the sieve plugin is loaded

Here is the sieve relevant parts of dovecot -n:

# 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
plugin {
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = " imap sieve pop3 sieve"
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " sieve"
}

Is there a requirement to use delivery via service (unix socket) so
that sieve is enabled?

Or is there a configuration thing I forgot ?

Thank you for your help
Thomas