Is it possible to use sieve when delivering via pipe to the dovecot deliver command ?

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Tue Jan 31 20:26:44 UTC 2017

Op 1/21/2017 om 7:12 PM schreef Thomas Carrié:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Exim with this delivery configuration:
>
> virtual_delivery:
>   driver = pipe
>   command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $local_part@$domain  -f
>
> I have enabled manage-sieve and uploaded a simple sieve script that I
> can see on the server.
>
> man page of /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver says it supports sieve.
>
> Mail debug is enabled:
>
> $ dovecot -n | grep debug
> mail_debug = yes
>
> Delivering a mail shows only this line in dovecot log:
>
> Jan 21 17:38:51 myserver dovecot: lda(joe at something.com):
> msgid=<20170121183537.7313f219 at homenetwork>: saved mail to INBOX
>
> According to page
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Troubleshooting#Sieve_Scripts_are_not_Executed
> I should have a log saying that the sieve plugin is loaded
>
> Here is the sieve relevant parts of dovecot -n:
>
> # 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> plugin {
>   sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
>   sieve_dir = ~/sieve
> }
> protocols = " imap sieve pop3 sieve"
> protocol lda {
>   mail_plugins = " sieve"
> }
>
> Is there a requirement to use delivery via service (unix socket) so
> that sieve is enabled?
>
> Or is there a configuration thing I forgot ?

Not really. But I do notice you're executing deliver rather than
dovecot-lda. Usually, one is a symlink to the other though, so it should
not matter. But, still best change that to rule out problems related to
that.

It should at least be showing debug messages from LDA itself. It may be
logging debug messages elsewhere though (`sudo doveadm log find`).

You can also try to execute /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda manually:

/usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -olog_path=/dev/stderr -p
/path/to/test/message.eml

This should print all logging to stderr. You may need to add a -d <user>
argument to select an appropriate user (an it may need to be run as
root). Refer to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA for reference.

Regards,

Stephan.