corrupted indexes rebuilding over and over

micah micah at riseup.net
Mon Jun 5 23:21:58 EEST 2017

"Grubert, Gordon" <gordon.grubert+lists at uni-greifswald.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> we had the same problem after a system failure. Our problem could be
> solved by
>
> rm /PATH/USER/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index*
> doveadm -D -v force-resync -u USER INBOX

I thought about doing this, but mdbox documentation[0] says:

  Note that with dbox the Index files actually contain significant data
  which is held nowhere else. Index files for both single-dbox and
  multi-dbox contain message flags and keywords. For multi-dbox, the
  index file also contains the map_uids which link (via the "map index")
  to the actual message data. This data cannot be automatically
  recreated, so it is important that Index files are treated with the
  same care as message data files.

The 'map index' for mdbox is contained in this dovecot.map.index* files
and it says that it cannot be automatically recreated, so if I nuke
them, will force-resync be able to re-create them? Is force-resync not
'automatic'?

thanks,
micah