corrupted indexes rebuilding over and over

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 00:24:51 EEST 2017

micah <micah at riseup.net> wrote:

> Now, about 50 users have a problem where their indexes are
> corrupted. Dovecot tries to fix them, but for some reason it is
> failing. The users are seeing their mails duplicated and they cannot
> delete mails. I can see in the logs dovecot detecting this and trying to
> rebuild operations during delivery and imap login, but its repeating
> over and over and over. For one user, I've seen more than 4k lines in
> the logs about this.
>
> If i try to do doveadm force-resync -u username INBOX
>
> I get this:
>
> doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: mdbox /n/nuffsaid/mdbox/storage: Inconsistency in map index (3494,32332 != 3494,383536)

I think mdbox is sensitive to index corruption.  mbox/maildir indices can be
rebuilt, but data loss can result if mdbox indices are corrupted:

 	https://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox

"Grubert, Gordon" <gordon.grubert+lists at uni-greifswald.de> then writes:

> we had the same problem after a system failure. Our problem could be
> solved by
>
> rm /PATH/USER/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index*
> doveadm -D -v force-resync -u USER INBOX

Not sure given the above URL whether this will solve your problem of make it
far worse.  Better back up what you have before trying anything.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>