AW: Need Help to analyze the error or is it a bug?

Dipl.-Ing. Harald E. Langner hlangner at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 16 22:06:36 EEST 2017

Hello,
thank You for helping me.
I did not remember the version before the update. I use FreeBSD 11.0. The OS tells me, from time to time, there are updates to do.
So it was and I have also compiled dovecot via the FreeBSD ports system with some others.
These are my settings:
[/usr/ports/mail/dovecot2] => make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for dovecot2-2.2.30.2:
     DOCS	=on: Build and/or install documentation
     EXAMPLES	=on: Build and/or install examples
     KQUEUE	=on: kqueue(2) support
     LIBWRAP	=on: TCP wrapper support
     LZ4		=off: LZ4 compression support
     VPOPMAIL	=off: vpopmail support
====> Database support
     CDB		=off: CDB database support
     LDAP	=on: LDAP protocol support
     MYSQL	=on: MySQL database support
     PGSQL	=off: PostgreSQL database support
     SQLITE	=off: SQLite database support
====> Full text search plugins
     ICU		=off: Use libicu for FTS unicode normalization
     LUCENE	=off: CLucene FTS support
     SOLR		=off: Solr FTS support
     TEXTCAT	=off: Libtextcat FTS support
====> GSSAPI Security API support: you have to select exactly one of them
     GSSAPI_NONE	=off: Build without GSSAPI support
     GSSAPI_BASE 	=off: Use GSSAPI from base
     GSSAPI_HEIMDAL=off: Use Heimdal GSSAPI from security/heimdal
     GSSAPI_MIT		=on: Use MIT GSSAPI from security/krb5

Today the error has gone. I DO NOT know why.

Yesterday I had make some more other updates for i.e. for  llvm... + openjdk7....
with
# portupgrade -r ( r means recursive).
It takes very long time and the terminal-session was broken so the connection was lost.

Today I come back and take a look. it seems that it has finished and I go on to find out the dovecot error.
I do then:
#gdb --args /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap -u <username>@domain.tld

But "auth" like this: " Error: auth: environment corrupt; missing value "
was no more broken.  But there was some rights not ok for the users db.
I changed this and try again
#gdb --args /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap -u <username>@domain.tld

wow: I get a login. Then without changing any settings in dovecot I try the Outlook client............
.........and it works ???

I don't know what it was. I could not figure out what was the authorize problem because of to less debug information.
When I have not program this software an error message like this "Fatal: Couldn't connect to auth socket" is not very helpful,
also there are in /var/run/dovecot 7 auth sockets and more then 38 sockets in all ?!

If you have an idea, how I could better debug this please tell me.
But again, thank for trying helping me.

Harald