Dovecot + SpamAssassin through dovecot-antispam

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Fri Mar 3 12:54:48 UTC 2017

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Bernard wrote:

> On 01/03/2017 11:27, Bernard wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to the list. /Waving at everyone/
>>
>> I got a basic SpamAssassin working on a Debian setup (w/ debian-spamd
>> user), running as a Postfix transport.
>>
>> I am currently trying to switch it to a dovecot plugin in order to make
>> it interactively work with the email storage (react to mail
>> classification, being able to train it from already received emails, aso.)
>> My problem is now making it able to access my emails.

if you followed the steps of both links, the spam checker is using
vmail:vmail, so it has access to the messages.

>> Here is my setup:
>> userdb {
>>     driver = static
>>     args = uid=<fixed> gid=<fixed> home=/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n
>> }
>>
>> passdb {
>>   driver = passwd-file
>>     args = <path to passwords file>
>> }
>>
>> mail_location = maildir:~/mail:LAYOUT=fs
>> mail_privileged_group = vmail
>>
>> Translating into this on the FS:
>> drwxrwsr-x root mail /var/mail/
>> drwxrws--- root vmail /var/mail/vhosts
>> drwx--S--- vmail vmail /var/mail/vhosts/domain1
>> drwx--S--- vmail vmail /var/mail/vhosts/domain1/user1
>> drwx--S--- vmail vmail /var/mail/vhosts/domain1/user2
>> drwx--S--- vmail vmail /var/mail/vhosts/domain2
>> drwx--S--- vmail vmail /var/mail/vhosts/domain2/user1
>>
>> The drwx--S--- access rights are propagated into lower branches/leafs.
>>
>> I am having a hard time understanding what to do, reading
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Permissions, to make all the
>> folders and subsequent files readable by the vmail group too.
>> Based on this documentation, the way dovecot propagate permissions from
>> parent folders is a bit cryptic to me. What needs to be done to achieve
>> that?

Your output matches the example in section "Permissions to new
/domain/user directories" exactly. The portions about to propagate
permissions apply to mailboxes and files therein only.

Also note: Permissions to new user home directories (v2.2+)

When mail_location begins with %h or ~/, its permissions are copied from
the first existing parent directory if it has setgid-bit set. This isn't
done when the path contains any other %variables.

So, do you use Dovecot v2.2 ?

>> The idea would be that even if I decided to allocated per-virtual-user a
>> system user for stored files, all the files would still be stored and
>> accessible with the same system group.
>> I understand this would be done with the help of mail_access_groups =
>> vmail, right?
>>
>> FWIW, I am getting inspiration from the following explanations:
>> https://www.christianroessler.net/tech/2015/spamassassin-dovecot-postfix.html
>> If I understand correctly, the guy is bypassing the authentication
>> completely with allow_all_users=yes, right? I do not want to do that anyway.
>>
>> I hope what I am trying to achieve is clear enough and that I provided
>> information enough.
>> Would you help me?
>> ---
>> Bernard