Corruption & migration

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Mar 21 07:05:27 EET 2017

I have an existing server using mdbox & sis.  There is a quantity of
corruption - I have no idea where it came in.  I'd had a previous
rebuild some years ago and I thought I had a clean datastore.  By
"corruption" I mean missing attachments and either missing or mixed-up
emails.

I've setup a new server on a virtual machine.  Instead of copying the
old configs I hand-adjusted individual settings using the current
distribution example.  The new server is running...but empty.

So now my intent is to migrate the mail to the new machine.  A few items
to note:
1.  The existing mail server is the virtual host.  The mails are stored
locally, in mdbox format, with sis enabled.  And possibly zlib.
2.  The new server, via VirtualBox, is presently configured for
Maildir.  I may change to sdbox - I'm now a little reserved about mdbox.
3.  Instead of storing the mails within the virtual machine, I'm using
the host's drive.  This is via an exported NFS4 folder from the host,
mounted on the guest, using the options:
"auto,noatime,hard,intr,async,nordirplus".
4.  My intent is to have the new virtual server become the primary mail
server.  The mail store will continue to be accessed by NFS4. No other
servers or processes (besides backup) should access the mail store.

So...my question is what is the best method for the migration?

Reading the docs on Dovecot replication I'm still very unsure of how to
implement it - particularly the "master-master" or "master-client"
relationships.  The docs are not 100% clear on which server gets which
options.  I can guess...which I'd really rather not do.  But it seems to
me getting one-way replication working would be the most "elegant"
solution here.

Manual dsync is also an option - but again I'm not on which machine I
should execute which options.

Imapsync is a possibility and the syntax is clear - but very slow in
execution for 100k mails.

Any suggestions or pointers would be welcome.

--
Daniel