Moving dovecot/maildir to new host, dovecot.* files

John Gateley dovecot at jfoo.net
Wed May 24 17:31:45 EEST 2017

Hello,

I've done a fair amount of searching, and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I am moving my dovecot/postfix servers and mail in Maildir formats to a new host.
When I move the Maildir directories, what should I do with the dovecot.index/cache/log/etc. files?
I know I can filter them out, and dovecot will recreate them, but is that the best approach?

I am thinking of the following:
Shut down postfix and dovecot on both the new and old server
rsync the maildirs from the old server to the new server
start up postfix/dovecot on the new server
verify all is okay
switch DNS from old server to new server.

Is this the best approach with minimal impact to mail users?

Thanks very much

John