Moving dovecot/maildir to new host, dovecot.* files

Bill Shirley bill at KnoxvilleChristian.org
Wed May 24 21:26:20 EEST 2017

I did it successfully the way you're thinking about doing it.

If your uid's changed you should use rsync's --usermap= and --groupmap=
I created a bash exec with an entry for each user:
#!/usr/bin/bash

USERMAP=400:psql,301:smbguest,501:bill
GROUPMAP=400:pvsw,401:pvsw-adm,301:smbguest,501:bill

echo smbguest
# begin single looong line
rsync -Aaxlrt --delete -e 'ssh -p 20026' --bwlimit=50m --numeric-ids --usermap=$USERMAP --groupmap=$GROUPMAP --exclude '*~'
--exclude 'dovecot*' --exclude 'maildir.dovecot.purge.conf' rsync://192.168.40.231/home/smbguest/Maildir/ /home/smbguest/Maildir/
# end single line

   mv /home/smbguest/Maildir/current.sieve /home/smbguest/Maildir/dovecot.sieve
   mv /home/smbguest/Maildir/current.svbin /home/smbguest/Maildir/dovecot.svbin

echo bill
.
.

Note I changed my sieve file name on the new server.
USERMAP consists of comma separated pairs of old_server_uid:new_server_username
likewise with GROUPMAP and gid and group_name
maildir.dovecot.purge.conf is a file I use to purge user folders

Bill