Public mailboxes and IPA (LDAP)

Ranbir m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Fri May 26 01:13:46 EEST 2017

On Thu, 2017-05-25 at 16:28 -0400, Ranbir wrote:
> Everything is working for "regular" private email boxes. But, I can't
> see new messages delivered to any of the public inboxes. Incoming
> emails get delivered to the correct locations for the public inboxes:
> just don't see them in my email clients.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is since I don't see an error in the
> dovecot logs.
>
> I also don't want to use the home directory location as provided by
> the
> IPA domain. I've worked around it by using file system symlinks, but
> I'd much rather just ignore the IPA provided home directory. I'm
> wondering if my workaround is the culprit behind new messages to the
> public folders not being seen by the client.

Answering my own question....

I ended up creating a second set of passdb and userdb lookups that use
a passwd-file. The passwd-file only contains the "users" for the public
mailboxes. The file returns the public mailboxes' home folders and the
extra field, userdb_mail. Now I can see new emails arriving at the
public mailboxes properly.

Oh, I also removed from my IPA server the accounts for the public
mailboxes.

Maybe there's another way to do this. But, I tried a whole whack of
stuff and this is the only method that has worked. :/

--
Ranbir