Public mailboxes and IPA (LDAP)

Ranbir m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu May 25 23:28:21 EEST 2017

Hi Everyone,

I have a working Dovecot server that is using my IPA domain to lookup
users and passwords. I also have a "public" namespace that has the
inboxes for public email accounts.

Everything is working for "regular" private email boxes. But, I can't
see new messages delivered to any of the public inboxes. Incoming
emails get delivered to the correct locations for the public inboxes: I
just don't see them in my email clients.

I'm not sure what the problem is since I don't see an error in the
dovecot logs.

I also don't want to use the home directory location as provided by the
IPA domain. I've worked around it by using file system symlinks, but
I'd much rather just ignore the IPA provided home directory. I'm
wondering if my workaround is the culprit behind new messages to the
public folders not being seen by the client.

Here's my config:

# 2.2.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
auth_cache_negative_ttl = 0
auth_cache_size = 1 k
auth_debug = yes
auth_gssapi_hostname = $ALL
auth_krb5_keytab = /etc/imap.keytab
auth_mechanisms = plain gssapi
auth_realms = SOME.REALM
auth_username_format = %Ln
auth_verbose = yes
first_valid_uid = 1000
hostname = server
listen = 1.1.1.1
mail_gid = virtual
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = quota acl
mail_uid = virtual
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-
character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational
regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment
mailbox date ihave
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace {
  location = maildir:/var/spool/mail/domain.tld/public
  prefix = Public.
  separator = .
  subscriptions = no
  type = public
}
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/conf.d/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  quota = maildir:User quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=500M
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
postmaster_address = postmaster@%d
protocols = imap lmtp
service auth-worker {
  user = $default_internal_user
}
service auth {
  inet_listener {
    address = 1.1.1.1
    port = 17900
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = virtual
    mode = 0600
    user = virtual
  }
}
service imap-login {
  process_min_avail = 2
  service_count = 1
}
service lmtp {
  inet_listener lmtp {
    address = 1.1.1.1
    port = 24
  }
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
ssl_protocols = !SSLv2 !SSLv3
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/conf.d/dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf.ext
  default_fields = uid=virtual gid=virtual
  driver = ldap
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = quota acl sieve
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = quota acl sieve
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = quota acl imap_quota imap_acl
}

- --
Ranbir