dovecot-lda without starting dovecot?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Sun Nov 5 12:55:44 EET 2017

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 10:44:25 +0200
Sami Ketola <sami.ketola at dovecot.fi> wrote:

> > On 4 Nov 2017, at 10.31, Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw.ml at ithnet.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 01:57:31 +0200
> > Sami Ketola <sami.ketola at dovecot.fi> wrote:
> >> Again that does not answer my question why? Why do you want all the
> >> locking problems and multi-access problems that come with setup like
> >> that? What is the actual problem that you are trying to solve?
> >>
> >> Sami
> >
> > Really, I can hardly believe you don't now large loadbalancing ISP setups
> > with multiple nodes per single service ...?
> > The simple problem: massive numbers of emails
>
> Nope. Has never been done. Has never been recommended way. You will get more
> problems with that setup that you are seeking to solve.
>
> Use multiple dovecot backends with director ring in front and switch to lmtp
> delivery via the director ring if you have scalability problems. Then you
> can just increase number of backends in case they are overloaded.
>
> Sami

Sorry to say this setup works flawlessly for years. The only addition we
will make now is to do the delivery with dovecot-lda. Everything else
(including multiple dovecot pop/imap servers) will stay as is.
Hopefully dovecot-lda does not fiddle around with the indexes too much, as we
then would have to delete this part of the code out. It is not needed as we
found out during the last 10 years of delivering mails into the maildirs by
atomic rename action while dovecot is presenting them over imap.

--
Regards,
Stephan