Parallel build problems with dovecot 2.2.32

Craig Leres leres at ee.lbl.gov
Tue Oct 10 03:47:40 EEST 2017

I use dovecot under FreeBSD 10.3 and build using poudriere. My build
server has 12 cores builds typically happen in parallel and I find
software that is not parallel make friendly will fail once every month
or so.

Attached is a build log from this afternoon that failed because
doveadm-util.o had not finished building when the attempt to link
test-doveadm-util happened.

Looking in src/doveadm/Makefile* in the build tree the only place I see
doveadm-util.o is in a make variable:

     test_doveadm_util_LDADD = doveadm-util.o $(test_libs) $(MODULE_LIBS)

This is only used in the test-doveadm-util rule:

     test-doveadm-util$(EXEEXT): $(test_doveadm_util_OBJECTS)
$(test_doveadm_util_DEPENDENCIES) $(EXTRA_test_doveadm_util_DEPENDENCIES)
             @rm -f test-doveadm-util$(EXEEXT)
             $(AM_V_CCLD)$(LINK) $(test_doveadm_util_OBJECTS)
$(test_doveadm_util_LDADD) $(LIBS)

So the problem is that doveadm-util.o needs to be an explicit dependency
for test-doveadm-util.

I believe one possible fix would be to add doveadm-util.o to
test_doveadm_util_DEPENDENCIES:

     test_doveadm_util_DEPENDENCIES = $(test_deps)

bug this isn't something that can easily tested.

		Craig