Issue with mailbox conversion using dsync in v2.2.32 (maildir <-> mdbox)

Jason Kiniry jason.kiniry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 02:35:47 EEST 2017

Hello Timo,

Thank you for the quick reply! My answers are inline:

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2017, at 3.36, Jason Kiniry <jason.kiniry at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > /usr/bin/dsync -f -D -o mail_location=mdbox:/home/blahmail/mail -u
> > _mainaccount at blahmail.tld -v mirror maildir:/home/blahmail/mail
>
> Where is the Maildir coming from? Has it been used by Dovecot earlier, or
> is it something else?

The maildir is already in use by Dovecot and has received mail. Then we do
the conversion in-place to mdbox (or vice versa).

> > doveadm(_mainaccount at blahmail.tld): Debug: Namespace INBOX.:
> > /home/blahmail/mail/mailboxes/INBOX doesn't exist yet, using default
> > permissions
>
> So mdbox apparently didn't exist before you ran dsync.

That's correct. We're changing from the maildir format to the mdbox format
in-place.

> > dsync(blahmail): Debug: brain M: Local mailbox tree: INBOX
> > guid=60f6d91a25fddb5983040000a19766e2 uid_validity=1507589418 uid_next=1
> > subs=no last_change=0 last_subs=0
> > dsync(blahmail): Debug: brain S: Local mailbox tree: INBOX
> > guid=e6191d3644fddb59e2040000a19766e2 uid_validity=1507589413 uid_next=2
> > subs=no last_change=0 last_subs=0
>
> But here the INBOXes already have conflicting UIDVALIDITYs. One of these
> was created too early.

> I think one of these helps:
>  * disable quota
>  * disable quota_clone
>  * disable mailbox_list_index

Disabling mailbox_list_index seems to resolve the issue. Unfortunately
though, I'm fairly sure we need that setting though for our environment,
but mayhap we can just disable it during the sync. Thank you for the
suggestion!

Regards,

Jason