How to limit Apple Mail (desktop)?

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Oct 30 22:00:43 EET 2017

Am 30.10.2017 um 17:50 schrieb Robert Schetterer:
> Am 30.10.2017 um 10:38 schrieb Rupert Gallagher:
>> By default, Apple Mail downloads all e-mails from  server's account. Previous versions of this client allowed to opt-out. The latest two versions? however, only allow to opt-out from downloading the attachments.
>>
>> The stress on the server is unbearable. We cannot ask users to be considerate: this is the default behaviour of Apple Mail.
>>
>> We need a server-side solution to the problem.
>>
>> Please share your ideas.
>>

> first check if you can ident Apple Mail versions related, i recent have
> none in my  log , but i.e Android does
>
> ---log
> ID sent: name=com.samsung.android.email.provider, os=android,
> os-version=7.0; NRD90M, vendor=samsung, x-android-device-model=SM-G930F
> -----
>
> then you need a procedure for limit....i have no idea which one
>
> Best Regards
> MfG Robert Schetterer

I dont know Apple Mail very good, but as workaround you might use sieve
to presort mails on the server at incomming in (sub)folders which arent
synced at default i.e in a date named folder, for sure users ( you
should know your apple mail users ) then need configure an extra
subscribe on these folders. Perhaps a combi with virtual folders may
usefull , for now not better idea , iam nearly sure this is not what you
you expected and/or wanted

seems google has a feature to "hide" mails

see

https://www.guidingtech.com/44581/prevent-mail-app-space-mac/

however if feel very strange with this

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG, 80333 München