How to limit Apple Mail (desktop)?

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Tue Oct 31 16:30:53 EET 2017

Am 31.10.2017 um 14:06 schrieb María Arrea:

>    If you use Linux you can use netfilter (iptables) mark feature to
> track individual connections from a given IP, and above a threshold you
> can shape the bandwitdh based on those iptables mark. For example, if an
> IMAP connection from ip X exceed 100 megabytes of data, bandwitdh for
> that ip would be limited to 100 KB/sec (or whatever number). First 100
> megabytes, top speed, above that they get slower.

dont think this will work
tons of cons can come from a nat ip
so you would punish everyone behind that ip ,not only apple mail

i see no real solution for the problem, cause if the server works out
some slow down this would only lead to longer download times, but will
no solve the orig wanted task. It will all be workarounds for a "buggy"
client

>     Regards
>
>     María
>

> El 30/10/17 a las 10:38, Rupert Gallagher escribió:
>> By default, Apple Mail downloads all e-mails from  server's account.
>> Previous versions of this client allowed to opt-out. The latest two
>> versions? however, only allow to opt-out from downloading the
>> attachments.
>>
>> The stress on the server is unbearable. We cannot ask users to be
>> considerate: this is the default behaviour of Apple Mail.
>>
>> We need a server-side solution to the problem.
>>
>> Please share your ideas.

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG, 80333 München