Pigeonhole vacation and envelope extension recipient addresses

Dave dovecot-e51 at deemzed.uk
Tue Oct 31 16:45:08 EET 2017

On 31/10/2017 14:24, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> Op 23-10-2017 om 14:51 schreef David Zambonini:
>> I have a situation where my LMTP RCPT TO: goes to a mailbox user account that
>> does not reflect either the final (through aliasing) or envelope email address.
>>
>> SMTP RCPT TO:    (envelope-local-part at envelope-domain)
>> Final Recipient: (final-local-part at final-domain)
>> LMTP RCPT TO:    (mailbox-local-part at mailbox-domain)
>
> I don't understand the difference between the last two. The first one is what I
> call the original recipient, the last one is what I call the final recipient.
>
> How is this supposed to work?

Well, the point it that that it doesn't currently. Yes, you're correct on the
first one, but our LMTP recipients aren't public email addresses, so the LMTP
recipient isn't the "final" email address, but the address prior to that
(internal aliasing on the MTA and inserted as a different header). It's a
many-to-one mapping so it couldn't just be aliased back the other way by the MTA
using a reverse path, either.

--
Dave