password reset

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Thu Sep 7 21:24:06 EEST 2017

This is off topic, but I am not sure where to go.

I have a local user who cannot login because of a forgotten password, so I went to reset her password with

sudo passed <user>

Which appears to work, asking for a new password and a confirmation. No error occurs (unless I give it unmatched passwords), but the password is not changed.

if I try to change the password in the user's account (after su <user>) t requires the old password.

running on FreeBSD 11.0

When I try to change the password with sudo, the timestamp on /etc/passwd gets updated but there is nothing logged to anything in /var/log/