lazy_expunge doesn't work since upgrade 2.2.30 to 2.2.32

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 19 10:51:50 EEST 2017

On 18 Sep 2017, at 21.19, Mark Moseley <moseleymark at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I just ran into the same thing myself. For me, when I added this to the
>>> "location" in the expunged namespace, it started working again:
>>>
>>> ...:LISTINDEX=expunged.list.index
>>>
>>> I can't tell you why exactly (presumably has something to do with
>>> "mailbox_list_index = yes"). Perhaps the devs might know?
>>>

>> Thx, this seams to fixed the problem.
>>

> Dovecot guys, any idea why this was the case? I just want to understand why
> so I can keep an out eye during future upgrades.

I'm not able to reproduce this problem even with your exact configuration. It correctly creates the #EXPUNGED/INBOX when I expunge the first mail there. Same with other folders. And it keeps moving mails there correctly as well. So it would have been useful to have some logs about when expunging was done, ideally with mail_debug=yes. And was it really that it didn't move any mails to the expunged namespace, or just that the folders there weren't visible?

The configuration anyway wasn't working so well. Your INBOX namespace and expunged namespace were both sharing the same dovecot.list.index file, which meant that whenever one of those namespaces were accessed it cleared the other one's contents in the index. So the performance was probably worse than it would have been with mailbox_list_index=no. I think I'll add some check for this so it becomes a clear error, instead of silently inefficient behavior.