Very high load

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Thu Sep 21 12:13:43 EEST 2017

On 21.09.2017 00:56, absolutely_free at libero.it wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using dovecot 2.0.9 (official CentOS rpm), I am experiencing very high load issue.
>
> I think it is something related to my storage (/var/spool is about 3 TB and it is almost full).
>
> I noticed those kind of messages in /var/log/maillog:
>

> Warning: Maildir: Scanning /var/spool/pop/domains/domain.it/username/Maildir/cur took 100 seconds (14281 readdir()s, 0 rename()s to cur/)
Maybe you have just too much load on your server. Also you seem to be
triggering maildir scans which are expensive.

Also the version you are running is from 2011, so it's ... rather dated.
You should probably update your system to centos7 which at least has
2.2.10, which is still rather old, but less so.

> Warning: Maildir /var/spool/pop/domains/domain.it/username/Maildir: Synchronization took 103 seconds (0 new msgs, 0 flag change attempts, 0 expunge attempts)
>
> I wondering if there is something to try, at configuration level, to "mitigate" this..
>
> I use Maildir format, MTA is postfix, I have many users (> 10000) with pop3/imap/webmail access. Physical server with 8 GB RAM and two CPU (Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz)
>

> This is my dovecot's conf:

please use doveconf -n

Aki