Recommendations for backup methods

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Aug 14 21:55:54 EEST 2018

I've been re-thinking my backup strategy - I wanted to see what input
others have.  At this time - I'm using sdbox as the primary storage
format and running on a single server.

Previously, all my backups were simple filesystem backups. Either
inotify-based or cron-based.  The whole mail folder structure would then
be copied to a remote storage site.  I've changed services - I now use
OpenDrive for the remote storage and can access the remote drive as a
mounted folder via WebDAV.  I also now use a cron-based series of restic
jobs for the backup processing.

Because I have some large folders - both personal & business letters
going back quite some time as well as mailing list archives - some mail
folders can be quite sizable.  Now I'm wondering, between sdbox's
support for alternate locations and the ability to use different storage
formats via namespaces - perhaps I should setup archive folders that are
stored differently to improve backup performance.  Maybe maildir or even
mbox for the archive folders - I create one per year?

Any comments?  Experiences?

--
Daniel