Mailing list address harvested for spamming

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Sun Dec 2 04:58:53 EET 2018

On 02/12/2018 03:05, Michael A. Peters wrote:
[...]
> But - I would wager that over 95% of the time when someone hits the
> reply button on a list post, their intent is to reply to the list.

Even if it's 99%: What is the lesser risk if someone get's it wrong?

Apart from the situation that people send mails over the mailing list
with "for X.Y." in the subject and no one knows how private that should
be. Obviously, it's absolutely not private because it goes to - at least
- all folks on the mailing list.

> If netiquette is why that sometimes fails, then netiquette does not
> match common usage and is the problem.
The netiquette is more than just a piece of "documentation of most of
the people think how it should work".

Please bring serious an factual problems with the netiquette as such and
not just "with some MUA it's not possible" (because it's possible with
really *every* MUA - with some it's just a little more work than with
others) or "most people ignore it because ...

> I would wager that most people are clueless to how mail headers work,
> not should most people need to.

... they are clueless".

In consequence, the clueless people should define how things should work?

Well, there are better solutions than that IMHO.

It's quite the opposite: People should have a *basic* knowledge of the
tools they use - for email e.g. the To:-header has no technical meaning.

Let's hope that people who do not know how to use a tool - e.g. like a
hammer - doesn't use that tool in the first place ....

MfG,
	Bernd
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
                     LUGA : http://www.luga.at