Localhost imap server fails after upgrade from 2.2.33.2-1 to 1:2.3.2.1 (fwd)

Chris BL cpblpublic+dovecot at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 22:16:59 EET 2018

Hi Aki,

I am not 100% sure.  I do not really know what my OS does. "ps -A" says
dovecot is running, but if I say "sudo service dovecot stop", my email
client works fine still (that is, assuming the old version of dovecot is
installed). ie the on-demand instances of dovecot-imapd that Alpine calls
are, I assume, started and stopped by Alpine. (?)

 Is my OS using dovecot for other stuff, like managing system mail (e.g.
root's reports of cron jobs, which still go to /var/mail, but I never read
them)?  I am not certain.  But I believed that any other use of dovecot
would be using a different .conf file, so I was hoping I just had to know
how to make my custom one (-c flag) work.

Thanks,
Chris