Director & Master Users

Travis Dolan travis.dolan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 22:16:33 EET 2018

It would look as though the changes have now negatively affected a "normal"
user from logging in.

telnet host 143

a login username password

a NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.

telnet host 143

1 login devteam*masteruser at example.com password

1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-
EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN
CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE QUOTA] Logged in

What do you think?

Thanks.

On Feb 15 2018, at 2:40 pm, Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi> wrote:

>> > On 15 February 2018 at 20:22 Travis Dolan <travis.dolan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I have Director setup to proxy requests to backend servers. This works fine
> when using "standard" username/passwords.
>
> I am not try to enable the use of the Dovecot Master user through Director
> into the backend servers.
>
> a.) username is being sent as masteruser*username
> b.) request hits the proxy and authenticates, and then is passed to the
> backend servers and fails auth.
>
> \- logs from proxy/Director point of view.
>
> auth: Info:
> passwd-file(masteruser,172.31.33.224,master,<z2eYD0Rl6P+sHyHg>): Master
> user logging in as devteam
>
> imap-login: Info: proxy(devteam): Login failed to backend.servers:143
> (master masteruser): [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.:
> user=<devteam>, method=PLAIN, rip=172.31.33.224, lip=192.168.71.20,
> session=<z2eYD0R
> l6P+sHyHg>
>
> \- logs from backend server point of view.
>
> imap-login: Info: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs):
> user=<masterusername>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.71.20, lip=192.168.71.99,
> session=<O8QN8kNlloXAqEcU>
>

> Proxy/Director Configs (hopefully this is enough)
>
> auth_master_user_separator = *
> passdb {
> driver = passwd-file
> args = /etc/dovecot/conf.d/master-user-password
> master = yes
> pass = yes
> }
>
> passdb {
> driver = static
> args = proxy=y nopassword=y
> }
>
> Please let me know if I can provide any further details.
>
> Thanks in advance.

>> You could consider using "master password" instead.

>> This works so that you configure proxy to use pass=some_static_password as
the password forward, and you can then use static passdb in director, as in

>> passdb {
  driver = static
  args = password=some_static_password ....
}