Director & Master Users

Sami Ketola sami.ketola at dovecot.fi
Fri Feb 16 09:02:03 EET 2018

> On 15 Feb 2018, at 22.16, Travis Dolan <travis.dolan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It would look as though the changes have now negatively affected a "normal" user from logging in.
>

> telnet host 143
>
> a login username password
>

> a NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.
>

> telnet host 143
>
> 1 login devteam*masteruser at example.com password
>

> 1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE QUOTA] Logged in
>

> What do you think?

So your director is the first entry point where the end users connect?

in that case your director should have passdb setup that verifies the user password and then
switches the session to use master password when forwarding the connection to backend.

something like this in director:

passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = /data/mail.passwd