Optimizing search performance for mobile devices / web mailer / general - solr plugin config

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Fri Feb 23 09:55:26 EET 2018

Hi all,

we run dovecot for a long time now with no complains from the users … until this week. Some users say, the search in mailfolders from iPhone (which only stores a few mails and search most on the server as I know) or our web mailer (SOGo, which I currently search also on the imap server) is „slow“.

As this is sort of individual experience, I was thinking of ways to speed up the search and came across the fts_solr plugin.

My question is, can I „just“ configure the its_solg plugin as described at the dovecot wiki? https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Solr <https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Solr>

How difficult is is to set up a solr server for that purpose? As our current mail hardware is not busy at all, is it ok to install Solr on the same hardware/server?

May be someone using that setup can give me some hints?

And: How hard is it to switch back to the „build in“ default search if we don’t see any benefit from hosting a solr server too.

	Thanks for feedback and suggestions . Regards . Götz