Optimizing search performance for mobile devices / web mailer / general - solr plugin config

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Fri Feb 23 10:51:37 EET 2018

Hello Götz,

As an intermediate skill level admin I found it not too hard. The
dovecot part was easier than the solr one, mostly as I am stuck on an
old system.

Solr indeed is blazingly fast. Searching several imap (sub)folders slows
it down a bit, because imap only always searches a single one and then
another one and so on. A proposed rfc to tackle that does not move forward.

There is a trick to have messages indexed on arrival, instead of at
mailbox access, "fts_autoindex = yes" in the plugin section. This is not
mentioned in the dovecot wiki page but might be useful.

In solr schema.xml I put some extra "copyField" stances, so from, to,
and subject get indexed with body. My users are mostly on thunderbird,
which only does body searches on the server.

Happy Hacking

Peter