Updated Dovecot 2.3.0 now getting 2 strange log errors

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Jan 2 03:26:52 EET 2018

On 02/01/18 14:07, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>> I can see 21:21:38 is when the below errors showed up with the above
>> 21:21:38 timestamps:
>>
>> Dec 29 21:21:38
>> lmtp(recipient at domain.net)<17187><UA2fMEQiR1ojQwAAUXb6+w>: Error:
>> program `/usr/sbin/sendmail' was forcibly terminated with signal 15
>> Dec 29 21:21:38
>> lmtp(recipient at domain.net)<17187><UA2fMEQiR1ojQwAAUXb6+w>: Error:
>> sieve: msgid=<470c210f-bd19-f63f-45ed-bfef59322be9 at domain.email>:
>> failed to send vacation response to sender at domain.email: <Failed to
>> execute sendmail> (temporary error)
>> Dec 29 21:21:38 lmtp: Error: postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter:
>> create file maildrop/868503.17337: Permission denied
>>
>> It still isn't really clear to me why this is going on.
>
> I am wondering what that sendmail process is doing.
>
> As you can see, Dovecot waits for it to finish for 30 seconds (override
> with submission_timeout setting).
>
> Can you try invoking sendmail manually from command line? Does it work?
> Is it hanging for more than 30s?

I think the real error here is the postdrop one (sendmail is a wrapper
around postdrop).  It's a permission denied error which leads me to
believe it may be an selinux (or similar) issue.  I wouldn't be
surprised if sendmail works from the command line but fails when
executed from sieve because selinux has it blocked for sieve.

If you're running selinux or apparmour or similar, check your logs for
that (audit log for selinux) and look for denials.  You cna also try
setting selinux to permissive and trying the operation (setenforce 0).

Peter