Updated Dovecot 2.3.0 now getting 2 strange log errors

tony tony at kode.email
Wed Jan 3 02:37:50 EET 2018

On 2018-01-01 17:26, Peter wrote:
> On 02/01/18 14:07, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>>> I can see 21:21:38 is when the below errors showed up with the above
>>> 21:21:38 timestamps:
>>>
>>> Dec 29 21:21:38
>>> lmtp(recipient at domain.net)<17187><UA2fMEQiR1ojQwAAUXb6+w>: Error:
>>> program `/usr/sbin/sendmail' was forcibly terminated with signal 15
>>> Dec 29 21:21:38
>>> lmtp(recipient at domain.net)<17187><UA2fMEQiR1ojQwAAUXb6+w>: Error:
>>> sieve: msgid=<470c210f-bd19-f63f-45ed-bfef59322be9 at domain.email>:
>>> failed to send vacation response to sender at domain.email: <Failed to
>>> execute sendmail> (temporary error)
>>> Dec 29 21:21:38 lmtp: Error: postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter:
>>> create file maildrop/868503.17337: Permission denied
>>>
>>> It still isn't really clear to me why this is going on.
>>
>> I am wondering what that sendmail process is doing.
>>
>> As you can see, Dovecot waits for it to finish for 30 seconds
>> (override
>> with submission_timeout setting).
>>
>> Can you try invoking sendmail manually from command line? Does it
>> work?
>> Is it hanging for more than 30s?
>
> I think the real error here is the postdrop one (sendmail is a wrapper
> around postdrop).  It's a permission denied error which leads me to
> believe it may be an selinux (or similar) issue.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if sendmail works from the command line but fails when
> executed from sieve because selinux has it blocked for sieve.
>
> If you're running selinux or apparmour or similar, check your logs for
> that (audit log for selinux) and look for denials.  You cna also try
> setting selinux to permissive and trying the operation (setenforce 0).
>

> Peter

> I am wondering what that sendmail process is doing.
>
> As you can see, Dovecot waits for it to finish for 30 seconds (override
> with submission_timeout setting).
>
> Can you try invoking sendmail manually from command line? Does it work?
> Is it hanging for more than 30s?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

Thanks for the responses. Running sendmail from the command line is
successful, which strikes me as odd. So it is only failing when sendmail
is invoked from sieve, but I don't yet understand why. I haven't made
any recent significant changes to the mail environment. I haven't
updated from postfix 3.2.4-2 since 12-16-17 when my distribution
released the packaged updated, but I didn't notice the issue at that
time until around 12-27 when I started getting emails about the reported
permission denied error and sendmail timeout.