Permissions on /var/log/dovecot

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:20:09 EET 2018

On 19 March 2018 at 22:48, @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> On 2018-03-19 (13:19 MDT), Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Plus, if dovecot is able to write to a file owned by root:wheel, then
> there is a BIG problem right there!!!
>
> Logging is generally done by syslogd, not directly by the process. So no,
> dovecot is not writing to a file owned by root anymore than postfix is
> writing to mail.log which is also owned by root.
>
> In my specific case, it is rsyslogd.

I have been running FreeBSD since 1997, so I know quite a lot about it!
I know about /etc/syslog.conf, but you do realize now that you are
conflicting yourself?
You want to provide doveconf -n output and get help, or figure it out
yourself.
I run dovecot and Exim (MTA) on FreeBSD. I don't use syslogd to do the
logging as the same can be controlled within the respective daemons.
So, figure out what you have done to make Postfix want to write to
/var/log/dovecot.log. In the meantime, you can chmod 1777
/var/log/dovecot.log as you figure things out!

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,