Permissions on /var/log/dovecot

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Mon Mar 19 23:19:26 EET 2018

On 2018-03-19 (14:20 MDT), Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been running FreeBSD since 1997, so I know quite a lot about it!
> I know about /etc/syslog.conf, but you do realize now that you are conflicting yourself?

No, I am not, I pointed out that dovecot does not writ ether logs, but that is a task generally managed by syslogd. then I said that in my case it was rsyslogd.

> You want to provide doveconf -n output and get help, or figure it out yourself.

the only lines in doveconf -n that relate to logging are the two lines I posted. The rest of dovecot's logging properly shows up in /var/log/dovecot, only the bcc delivery seems to error out.

> I run dovecot and Exim (MTA) on FreeBSD. I don't use syslogd to do the logging as the same can be controlled within the respective daemons.
> So, figure out what you have done to make Postfix want to write to /var/log/dovecot.log.

I never said postfix was writing to dovecot's log. What gave you that idea?

# doveconf -n
# 2.2.34 (874deae): /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.22 (22940fb7)
# OS: FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 i386
# Hostname: mail.covisp.net
auth_failure_delay = 5 secs
auth_mechanisms = PLAIN LOGIN
default_client_limit = 4096
default_process_limit = 1024
default_vsz_limit = 768 M
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_uid = 89
imap_id_log = *
lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
lda_mailbox_autosubscribe = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> %r %m %c
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_max_userip_connections = 90
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext imapsieve vnd.dovecot.imapsieve
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Archive {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Archive
  }
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
  username_filter = !*@*
}
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  imapsieve_mailbox1_before = file:/usr/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-spam.sieve
  imapsieve_mailbox1_causes = COPY
  imapsieve_mailbox1_name = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox2_before = file:/usr/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-ham.sieve
  imapsieve_mailbox2_causes = COPY
  imapsieve_mailbox2_from = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox2_name = *
  sieve_global_extensions = +vnd.dovecot.pipe +vnd.dovecot.environment
  sieve_pipe_bin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/sieve
  sieve_plugins = sieve_imapsieve sieve_extprograms
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener pop3s {
    port = 995
    ssl = yes
  }
}
ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/dehydrated/certs/covisp.net/fullchain.pem
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  default_fields = uid=vpopmail gid=vchkpw mail_location=/usr/local/virtual/%u mail=maildir:/usr/local/virtual/%u
  driver = sql
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = " virtual imap_sieve"
}

--
Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered