dovecot-uidlist is not up-to-date

Dmitry Filonov filonovd at enders.tch.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 22 01:15:21 EET 2018

Hi,

  Am using dovecot-2.2.10-8 on Centos-7 and everything seemed to be
totally fine for many years. Now am trying to migrate our on-premises
mail server to the cloud and I had to get some statistics. I was doing
that using the doveadm utility.

Unfortunately I found that the numbers don't match if I check the real
messages in my Maildirs. For some account doveadm was reporting number
of messages but that account didn't have any messages stored at all.

So I looked a bit further and found that doveadm utility reports data
form indexes and indexes are built using dovecot-uidlist data. For quite
some folders these files have way more data than actual mailbox has. For
example, my personal Inbox has 569 messages but dovecot-uidlist has 716
entries.

I don't know when and how that happened but this happens a lot on many
different mailboxes on my server. I never touched dovecot-uidlist files
outside of dovecot. I might have removed messages from Maildirs though,
but not at this scale.

Now the question is if there's any way to tell dovecot to rebuild
dovecot-uidlist files using actual Maildir data. I don't want to remove
dovecot-uidlist files as this triggers the whole mailbox being
re-downloaded by the imap client. With some accounts having over 100Gb
of mail this is too much of a hassle. I just need dovecot itself to fix
it's data.

Thanks,

Fil

--